So Throne is an angel of questionable sanity and reaching ambition, the leader of a desperate host on a radiation-scoured, magic-riddled hell-planet that is partially occupied by the forces of Hell. He says he is embarking on a Project, which will transform Carcosa into Eden and restore the Grigori to the heavens. Others say his Project will turn him into a tinpot godling, while other say it will once and for all wipe out all (un)life on Carcosa, while others say his real Project is even more glorious than what he says it is, while other say there is no project at all, while...
The main thing is that it is hard to tell who's good, who's bad, who's sane, who's in the know, and who's lying. Reinforcing that is this handy random table, which will provide a confusing background to the party's active interaction with angels, demons, and other factions who may or may not have a stake in the Project's outcome.
When the players attract the attention of angels or their enemies, there is a 50% chance of one of the following occurring sometime during a session. If the rolled event seems improbable or impossible, work it in anyway. NPCs and monsters will never acknowledge any conspiracy character or event under any circumstances. Particularly stupid NPCs might seem unsettled in their presence. The conspiracy NPCs will not appear in front of anything truly powerful, like a god or fairy-lord. Conspiracy NPCs never interact with other NPCs or their environment, except through the party. Depending on their nature, they might show up when rolled even if previously dead or imprisoned.
1. The Lady in RedShe tends in to blend in with her environment—shell be dressed as an aristocrat in a high class neighborhood, as a prisoner in dungeons, as a traveler on the road—but her clothes are always red.
- There is no Throne. It’s really just Something Else hiding its true nature for its own inscrutable(r) purposes.
- You need to listen. The Others will make her do this over and over until you get it right. Await further instructions.
- The last person the party talked to is actually an agent of the so-called Grigori. Kill them.
- One of The Others' most dangerous enemies is hunting you. He wears yellow, and he has killed before.
- She has broken free from the control of the Others! They are evil and the Grigori are good. You must disregard all of her previous instructions.
- no, no, NO. The last time you met her was her evil twin. You must ignore all her previous statements.
2. The Man in Yellow
He operates identically to the Lady in Red, but he is always in yellow clothes.
- He can hear the Angels. They don’t know he can hear them, be he can. Hear them, that is. They are planning something terrible.
- Don’t drink the water. It’s filled with the Angel’s poison. You’ll believe anything they tell you if you drink it.
- Always cover up your windows. The Angels like to watch you sleep.
- There is a child in black, who draws strange things. They know what’s going on, but that doesn’t mean you can trust them.
- There is a terrible Engine deep beneath the capital. If you destroy it, the Angels’ plans will be for naught.
- He violently attacks the party, saying he can see the Angels inside them.
3. The Child in Black
Never says anything. Always wears a ragged black coat. Otherwise operates as the Lady in Red does.
- Is standing over a chalk picture of a man and woman, both in suits. There is a stylized eye drawn above each of their heads.
- Is standing over a chalk picture of an angel with two faces. One is angry, while the other is smiling.
- Is standing over a chalk picture of a figure seated on a throne. He has no face.
- Is standing over a chalk picture of a burning gate with many hands reaching out of it.
- Is standing over the following message, written in chalk, “THE RING HAS FOR YEARS BEEN SYMBOLIC OF ALL GYNO EDUCATE AND HYDRATE AND ESCAPE OUR ENFETTERMENT AS THE INDIGO CLOUDS RISE OVER THE ZENITH INTO THE ARCHIPELAGO OF OUR CERTAIN DREAMS AND WE WILL ESCAPE THE BOUNDLESS RIVER OF AZRAELS SACRED JEWELRY*.”
- Is standing over the following message, written in chalk, “THIS NEW DAY IN THE PRIMARY AGE OF SUBTERFUGE GENDER WILL BE CONFOUNDED AND SEX WILL NO LONGER BE THE HEGEMONIC SPRING OF LIFE NO LOVE IS THE BLACK DEATH THAT HAS INFECTED US TO OUR VERY CORE WE ONCE NEVER SUCCUMBED TO THE LUSH GRAYNESS OF SLEEP THE ZOAS ARE OUR ONE HOPE*.”
4. Richard and Eleanor
They are polite, aristocratic, slightly condescending. They offer you cigarettes with immaculately gloved hands. They are both dressed in fine suits of black silk. Their expressions are impassive, and while they always stand next to each other, they never quite touch.
- “We do so appreciate your work. Will you accept a token of our esteem?” They offer the party a briefcase containing a single random angelic weapon.
- “Don’t bother reading that dreadful graffiti. It’s simply hellish.”
- “You didn’t hear it from me, but there’s an angel sniffing around. Take care. Wouldn’t want to get caught up in anything compromising, now would we?” An angel of a random Sphere is now pursuing the party as if they had stolen its weapon.
- During a fight or confrontation, Richard and Eleanor watch the party through a shared pair of opera glasses, preferably from a great distance or difficult to reach location. They applaud if the party does well.
- “Hmm. It seems they’ll let just anyone in here these days. Watch out for the riff raff” As soon as Richard and Eleanor are out of sight, a powerful demon attacks the party.
- “How we hate to see you struggle.” Richard and Eleanor hand the party a key. It will open the next locked door they encounter.
5. The Grafitti
It will appear on any flat surface. Always dripping red paint.
- THRONE IS SHIT
- FUK THE GRIGORi
- WE WATCHING U BUT WE ARN’T WATCHERS
- ANGEL’S WIL KILL U
- WE R GOING TO EAT UR BONES
- SEE YOU SOON
6. The Pedestrians
Random passers-by in crowds. If there are none of those, then adapt the event for humanoid monsters or animals.
- Make an elaborate hand-signal while making eye contact with a member of the party
- Say “The Watchers are watching” over and over again under their breath.
- For a moment, their eyes and mouth burn gold and white.
- Lift their hands, revealing wings tattooed onto their palms. They will not be there if you look again.
- Steadily staring at the party as they walk past. Their neck will rotate up to 180 degrees to facilitate this.
- White feathers tumble from their sleeves.