It’s interesting fitting homebrew into LotFP’s paradigm. Its classes are very spare—the four main classes each have this one Thing That They Do, and they get better at it every level, but they can’t do much else. So making a class that fits into LotFP means you have to boil a class down to a single mechanic. I don’t know if I will be including any of this in my current game, but I want to get it on paper so I can stop thinking about it.
Okay, so first thing is two things.
- Warlocks from 3.5 are not very good.
- This short is charming:
It also demonstrates nearly everything a warlock is trying to be, minus the diabolism. The witches are blasty-shooty magic-users that have a wide array of tricks they can use as much as they want.
Witch, a class for LotFP
|From Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together|
HP as Magic-User, Experience as Specialist, Saves as Cleric
All witches have a wand. They require it to cast spells. They can cast as spells as often as they wish. A spell can affect anything within 100 feet of the caster. A spell can do the following:
- Replicate the effect of any simple weapon, tool, or mechanical object, such as a torch, grappling hook, bow and arrow, or ladder.
- Manipulate an object. The witch uses Charisma in place of Strength and Dexterity.
A Witch can cast simultaneously a number of spells equal to 1 + half level. The maximum number of spells they can have active at one time is also 1 + half level. Otherwise, spells last until dismissed.
I like shapeshifting characters in theory, but in practice, it seems to require a lot of paperwork. I think LotFP's one-class-gets-one-ability structure works well in this case.
Beast Child, a class for LotFP
HP, Experience, and Saves as Fighter
Beast Children can turn into creatures. In order to be able to turn into a creature, a Beast Child must
- Have a level greater than or equal to the creature's HD.
- Possess some part of the creature, such as a tooth, scale, or bone.
- Keep their max and current HP, saving throws and attack bonus.
- Gain the Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, of the creature
- Gain any special abilities the creature possesses.